Monday, April 13, 2009

Training for a 5K

So I have also wanted to run a marathon but I have never really started training for one and am very on and off with running. I found this great website at http://www.coolrunnings.com/ that is all about how to train for different races. After talking with my friend Jenna, we decided we really needed to run a race together. So why not start off small? Today, I am going to start training for a 5K.

There are many good reasons to run. I feel that it will help me be healthier along with many other benefits like improved mood (exercising 35 minutes a day has been shown to lessen the signs of depression), lowering blood pressure (not that mine is high...yet), protecting against heart disease, and boosting self-esteem (Check out http://www.everydayhealth.com/alternative-health/treatment-regimens/exercise.aspx?xid=nl_EverydayHealthEmotionalHealth_20090410)

Basically my workout today is a 5 minute warm-up and cool down plus alternating 60 seconds jogging with 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment