Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Raise a Piece of Chocolate to Grandma



This blog is one of the hardest to write but some things that I have been thinking a lot about lately force me to write my chaotic thoughts down. Last Friday (April 24), I received a call from my mom saying that my Grandma (my dad's mom and who has been in hospice for the last month) was not doing very well and her breathing had changed. She suggested that I should come and visit as soon as possible. My mom and dad were already on there way up. I began making plans to leave after work. Within the hour, I received another call, saying my grandma had passed away. It was so horrible. I was so upset. This was the first person that has been close to me to depart this world to the next.




While my grandma's mental state has been decaying most of the time that I have known her- primarily caused by Huntington's disease, Parkinson's, and diabetes; her physical health began to decline as well. And she died at the ripe age of 64. We never thought it would happen so soon but at least she is in a better place.




Luckily, no one noticed my tears at my new job and I was able to retreat to my grief in private and swapping stories with my family. Since Friday, I have not been as emotional but a sadness has overcome me. So now, after some reflection, I want to recount some of my most treasured memories of my grandmother.






  1. Her soft hands. They had a lifetime of moisturizer on them. Her generation knew the importance of good skin care (and sunscreen!). But they did not show her inner struggle over her mental state.


  2. Her long necklaces. I never asked whether it was because she did not like necklaces close to her neck or she just preferred to wear long necklaces. They were beaded, had pearls, jewels, or silver tones. She always looked so elegant sitting there (no matter what shirt she was wearing) with her long necklaces.


  3. Living with us in Haymarket. For a time, Grandma lived with us in the basement. Most of it seems to be a blur. I remember her being at dinner, watching soap operas, and helping clean. I especially remember the time she had to go get my mom when I fell out of the tree in the backyard. She was a great grandma to live with because she was lots of fun and she never told on us to the parents.


  4. Her love of decorating for each holiday. From the time I can remember, whenever Grandma Nina visited she always brought little presents, especially around the holidays. Most of the time they were ceramic or painted figurines of bunnies or hearts and teddy bears. They were the best kinds of gifts. I know I still own mine and I cannot wait to have the room to decorate with them around my house. I think my passion for decorating for the seasons and the holidays is inherited from her.


  5. She was always careful about her appearance. I learned the appreciation of brushing my hair from watching her constantly comb hers.


  6. Her cleaning skills. She loved to clean. Sometimes it was hard to keep her from cleaning even if the house was already clean. She definitely taught you what you should do and how to clean a fridge from top to bottom.


  7. Her love of chocolate. Whenever we saw Grandma, we always brought her a box of chocolate. I swear I never saw her eat one but the boxes where always empty. My Aunt Naomi said she knew something was wrong on Easter when my Grandma did not eat her chocolate.


Hopefully, I will remember more memories of Grandma (and can add some). But now, every April 24, I will have to smile and raise (and eat) and piece of chocolate to Grandma Nina. Because that is what she would have done.



No comments:

Post a Comment